Insect-deterring sorghum compounds may be eco-friendly pesticide
Compounds produced by sorghum plants to defend against insect feeding could be isolated, synthesized and used as a targeted, nontoxic insect deterrent, according to [..]
-->Press-release; Penn State News, April 03, 2019
Forgotten Crops May Hold Key to Nutritional Security
UC Davis is partnering in a global plant-breeding consortium that is fighting malnutrition and poverty in Africa by improving the traditional crops of the continent.
The African Orphan Crop Consortium — conceived by [..]
-->Press-release; University of California, Davis, February 24, 2016
Organic farming and research in Italy
Organic acreage in Italy is the widest among the European countries (about 1 million hectares) and it is, at present, in a rising phase; at the same time Italy is second in the world for number of organic growers (about 50.000 organic farms).
This data have been released by the National Institute of Agricultural Economics (INEA) and by the German Research Institute for Organic Agriculture (FiBL) [..]
A selection of links to press-releases, news-articles and documents about agriculture and landscape:
- FAO welcomes €17 million contribution from Germany to combat the impact of the Desert Locust upsurge in East Africa. Food and Agriculture Organization (UN-FAO), February 28, 2020.
- Tulips grow in winter, thanks to the summer sun. Wageningen University & Research, February 12, 2020.
- Traditional Chinese medicinal plant yields new insecticide compounds. American Chemical Society, January 29, 2020
- CAFIA detected 71 cases of non-compliant advertising of food in 2019 The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority (CAFIA), January 24, 2020.
- Protecting plants, protecting life: Canada celebrates 2020 as the International Year of Plant Health. Canadian Food Inspection Agency, January 16, 2020.
- Purdue scientists develop way to track salmonella infection in real time. Purdue University - West Lafayette, Indiana (USA), January 7, 2020.
- Researchers reveal secret of Chinese medicinal herb. Wageningen University & Research, December 18, 2019.
- Towards faster cooking varieties of beans: ACIAR launches an innovative breeding project in East Africa. Australian Centre for International Agricultural Research (ACIAR), December 11, 2019.
- Woody Plants with Undesirable Tendencies. American Society for Horticultural Science (ASHS) - November 26, 2019.
- New material points toward highly efficient solar cells. Purdue University - West-Lafayette - Indiana (USA), November 12, 2019.
- African swine fever: early detection is key to controlling spread. European Food-Safety Authority, November 5, 2019.
- What is phytoremediation? Soil Science Society of America,October 15, 2019.
- A no-deal Brexit threatens the long-term sustainability of British agriculture. The Soil Association (UK), October 10, 2019.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle: the future of phosphorus. The American Society of Agronomy, September 13, 2019.
- Flying insects in hospitals carry 'superbug' germs . British Pest Control Association, August 23, 2019.
- VIDEO: A practical approach to wasp management British Pest Control Association, August 9, 2019.
- Scientists call for modernization of EU gene-editing legislation . Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, July 29, 2019.
- Regulation of root growth from afar - How genes from leaf cells affect root growth . Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, July 19, 2019.
- The Soil Association welcomes the government’s commitment to sustainable food and farming in the upcoming National Food Strategy - The Soil Association (UK), June 27, 2019.
- Rural 4G proposals need guarantees for consumers and businesses - Country Land and Business Association (CLA - UK), June 4, 2019.
- How does root depth affects the nearby soil? Soil Science Society of America, May 16, 2019.
- USDA Accepting Applications to Help Cover Producers’ Costs for Organic Certification - USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA), May 6, 2019.
- USDA Reaffirms Science-Based Decision Making at G20 Agricultural Chief Scientists Meeting - The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Aprile 26, 2019.
- Supporting Farmers' Mental Health - Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA; Canada), April 22, 2019.
- House Agriculture Subcommittee on Biotechnology, Horticulture, and Research Welcomes 4-H Youth Leaders House Committee on Agriculture (USA), April 09, 2019.