Forgotten Crops May Hold Key to Nutritional Security
UC Davis is partnering in a global plant-breeding consortium that is fighting malnutrition and poverty in Africa by improving the traditional crops of the continent.
The African Orphan Crop Consortium — conceived by [..]
-->Press-release; University of California, Davis, February 24, 2016
Sustainable practices in tropical areas for increasing the productivity and protect against the loss of nutrients and organic matter
A study of which refers the American Society of Agronomy reports that the increase of practicing crop rotations, cover crops and no-tillage in tropical areas can reduce the loss of nutrients and then the threat of the fertility reduction in tropical soils that, when farmed, behave differently than the temperate ones.
Organic farming and research in Italy
Organic acreage in Italy is the widest among the European countries (about 1 million hectares) and it is, at present, in a rising phase; at the same time Italy is second in the world for number of organic growers (about 50.000 organic farms).
This data have been released by the National Institute of Agricultural Economics (INEA) and by the German Research Institute for Organic Agriculture (FiBL) [..]
A selection of links to press-releases, news-articles and documents about agriculture and landscape:
- The Philadelphia GSI (Green StormWater Infrastructure) Landscape Design Guidebook of the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) (Article published in the ASLA's 'The Field' website; Asla is the American Society of Landscape Architects).
- Walnuts impact gut microbiome and improve health (News published by the University of Illinois - College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences - CAES; May 3, 2018).
- 'Citrus greening taking over Florida groves, while UF searches for a cure' (Article published by the CBS - Florida website).
- The rose genome deciphered: from the origin of modern roses to the characteristics of their blooms (Press-Release - French National Institute for Agricultural Research, May 3, 2018).
- '4 Things You Should Know about Remote Sensing in Agriculture' (Article published by AgFunder News; San Francisco - California - USA).
- 'State shares of total U.S. irrigated acres, in 2012' (Source: USDA ERS - 2012 Census of Agriculture - State Data, published by the 'Farm Policy' - Twitter page of the University of Illinois, Urbana - Champaigns).
- Ash dieback threatens 95% of all European ash trees - A Research from Earlham Institute (Source: Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council - BBSRC; April 23, 2018).
- USGS Scientists Develop New Tool to Determine if Vermiculite Insulation Contains Asbestos U.S. Geological Survey (USGS - April 5, 2018).
- 'Biosecurity Matters - Australia is free from many pests and diseases found around the world.' Some videos published by the Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources of Australia.
- Study finds direct evidence of exposure of pregnant women to herbicide ingredient (News-release; University of Indiana press-release, March 22, 2018).
- What do agronomists do? YouTube page of the American Society of Agronomy.
- How to create a continuous thermochemical process that produces biocrude from algae (News bu the Pacific North-West National Laboratory - PNNL-LAB - USA).
- 2017-2018 Florida Citrus Production Guide (Source: University of Florida - Citrus Extensione Service; USA).
- Some graphic suggestion about managing your poultry during the birdmigration season, in order to prevent the spread of the avian-flu (avian-influenza) Article published by the Ministry of Agriculture of the Northern Ireland.
- Coffee requires cancer warning, California judge rules (News published by NBCNews.com, March 30, 2018).
- Farmer guides to Tropical Crops like mango, citrus fruits, pineapple, poultry, dairy, beekeeping. (News published by the National Agricultural Advisory Service of Uganda).
- 'K-State researchers make breakthrough in understanding glyphosate resistance' News published by The Fence Post (newspaper, USA).
- A guide for PhDs and early career researchers interested in a postdoc (Source: ecrLife website - 'Highlighting initiatives to improve the way science is performed and communicated').
- 'Ugandan journalists vow to change rhetoric against science' (Source: International Service for the Aquisition of Agri-Biotech Applications SEAsiaCenter - ISAAA).
- A simple pump operated by a motorbike is the latest innovation for farmers keen on irrigation due to its cost effectiveness Source: FarmBizAfrica.com
- The 19 'Drought and Water Management Tip Sheets', about California-crops drought-management (Source: California Istitute for Water Resources). It has also inspired a video, produced by the UCANR.
- 'Did you know that there are around 50 species of daffodil (Narcissus) but more than 15,000 cultivated varieties? (Source: Twitter-page of KewGardens).
- Secretary Vilsack Announces $36.5 Million for Specialty Crop Research and Extension Investments - United States Departement of Agriculture, August 2, 2016
- New EU study reveals EU would need 19 million more hectares of farm land to produce same amount of food without plant breeding techniques [..] ('.pdf') - - European Farmers European Agri-Cooperatives (Copa - Cogeca), July 28, 2016
- Innovations from Crop Research - SCI, July 28, 2016