Overuse of antibiotics brings risks for bees -- and for us
Researchers from The University of Texas at Austin have found that honeybees treated with a common antibiotic were half as likely to survive the week after treatment compared with a group of untreated bees, a finding that may have health implications for bees and people alike. [..]
-->Press-release; University of Texas - Austin, March 14, 2017
BumbleBee program developed together with farmers at Deleware University
The Deleware University is testing the polllination with native bumble bee instead of honeybees. Pollinators are very important in crop production and their activity affects 80% of the whole crop production in Deleware. For this reason a research project is investigating the field application of bumble bee pollination, also to improve their pollinating performanches. [..]
A selection of links to press-releases, news-articles and documents about agriculture and landscape:
- USDA Accepting Applications to Help Cover Producers’ Costs for Organic Certification - USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA), May 6, 2019.
- USDA Reaffirms Science-Based Decision Making at G20 Agricultural Chief Scientists Meeting - The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Aprile 26, 2019.
- Supporting Farmers' Mental Health - Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA; Canada), April 22, 2019.
- House Agriculture Subcommittee on Biotechnology, Horticulture, and Research Welcomes 4-H Youth Leaders House Committee on Agriculture (USA), April 09, 2019.
- Professor Johnathan Napier – Sustainable food chains: making fish oils from plants - Society of Chemical Industry, March 27, 2019.
- Agroecology Criteria Tool - Assess your Project or Policy - Swiss Forum for International Agricultural Research, March 15, 2019.
- Organic Agriculture Research Forum (OARF) Presentations Now Available Online - Organic Agriculture Research Foundation, March 2019.
- Students’ thoughts focused on jobs and careers and career progression at the recent horticulture careers forum - Northern Ireland Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs, March 4, 2019.
- Fruit fly in Auckland – situation update 1 March 2019 - Ministry for Primary Industry - biosecurity New Zealand, March 1, 2019.
- Amendment to Wine Act contributed to drop in adulterated wines present on the market - The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority (CAFIA), February 27, 2019.
- CAFIA found further cases of consumers’ misleading regarding origin of beef in Prague restaurants The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority (CAFIA), February 19, 2019.
- Canada's Agriculture Day - Minister's Statement - Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, February 12, 2019.
- Gender Equality Mainstreaming Digest – February 2019 Issue - Agricultural Institute of Canada - AgriFood Innovation Council, January 31, 2019.
- Continuing the Conversation on Mental Health in Agriculture - Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs of Ontario (Canada), January 18, 2019.
- The Philadelphia GSI (Green StormWater Infrastructure) Landscape Design Guidebook of the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) (Article published in the ASLA's 'The Field' website; Asla is the American Society of Landscape Architects).
- Walnuts impact gut microbiome and improve health (News published by the University of Illinois - College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences - CAES; May 3, 2018).
- 'Citrus greening taking over Florida groves, while UF searches for a cure' (Article published by the CBS - Florida website).
- The rose genome deciphered: from the origin of modern roses to the characteristics of their blooms (Press-Release - French National Institute for Agricultural Research, May 3, 2018).
- '4 Things You Should Know about Remote Sensing in Agriculture' (Article published by AgFunder News; San Francisco - California - USA).
- 'State shares of total U.S. irrigated acres, in 2012' (Source: USDA ERS - 2012 Census of Agriculture - State Data, published by the 'Farm Policy' - Twitter page of the University of Illinois, Urbana - Champaigns).
- Ash dieback threatens 95% of all European ash trees - A Research from Earlham Institute (Source: Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council - BBSRC; April 23, 2018).
- USGS Scientists Develop New Tool to Determine if Vermiculite Insulation Contains Asbestos U.S. Geological Survey (USGS - April 5, 2018).
- 'Biosecurity Matters - Australia is free from many pests and diseases found around the world.' Some videos published by the Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources of Australia.
- Study finds direct evidence of exposure of pregnant women to herbicide ingredient (News-release; University of Indiana press-release, March 22, 2018).
- What do agronomists do? YouTube page of the American Society of Agronomy.