IIT researchers show how plants can generate electricity to power LED light bulbs
In Advanced Functional Materials, the study shows that single plant leaves can generate more than 150 volts; a 'hybrid tree' made of natural and artificial leaves can act as an innovative 'green' electric generator. [..]
-->Press-release; IIT-Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia in Pontedera (Pisa, Italy), December 12, 2018
Smartphones the stick needed to eat more carrots
Smartphone apps could be key to addressing Australia's significant under-consumption of vegetables, especially with men and people who are overweight or obese. [..]
-->Press-release; The Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), May 7, 2018
Big data is coming to agriculture
Unmanned aerial vehicles, autonomous tractors and other technologies will continue to emerge as producers meet world food needs in the near and distant future, according to experts. Those experts believe technology will continue to emerge and make possible giant leaps throughout the next decade [..]
-->Article published on January 05, 2017
Entomologists, Engineers Work Together to Weigh a Bee
How do you weigh a bee? That’s the question that brought together insect specialists at the University of California, Davis, and two teams of UC Davis engineering students this year, to try and solve what turns out to be a tricky technical problem. But the consequences are [..]
-->Press-release; UC Davis News and Media Relation, July 6, 2016
High Plains Crop Profitability Analyzer available to producers
Producers in the Texas High Plains have a new budgeting tool available with the release of the 2016 High Plains Crop Profitability Analyzer, [..]
-->Press-release; Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service - Agrilife Today, January 4, 2016
Innovative device counts corn stalks in experimental fields
Agricultural businesses that develop and market corn seed varieties typically use high school students or other unskilled labour to walk their experimental fields counting corn stalks. The information is useful in determining important seed qualities and planter [..]
-->Press-release; University of Illinois College of Agricultural, Consumer and Environmental Sciences - Tony Grift - March 18, 2010
The New York State Authority for the energy sector develops an innovative agricultural research program
NYSERDA, the New York State Authority for Research and Development in the energy sector is defining a new way for the local agriculture offering fundings to support urban agriculture, hoping to secure food supplies and also to fulfill those citizens involved in the new tendencies directed to the protection of natural environment.
-->Article published on September 02, 2008
Remote controlled cattle will graze in futuristic rangelands, thanks to GPS technology
The same GPS technology, we frequently use to understand what is the unusual location we are driving our car, or our mountain-byke to, when we move across the country, among corn fields or woodlands, has being used by some ARS-USDA agricultural scientists to track the cattle, moving across wide rangelands (ARS is a scientific research agency of the U.S. Department of Agriculture).
A selection of links to press-releases, news-articles and documents about agriculture and landscape:
- USDA Accepting Applications to Help Cover Producers’ Costs for Organic Certification - USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA), May 6, 2019.
- USDA Reaffirms Science-Based Decision Making at G20 Agricultural Chief Scientists Meeting - The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Aprile 26, 2019.
- Supporting Farmers' Mental Health - Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA; Canada), April 22, 2019.
- House Agriculture Subcommittee on Biotechnology, Horticulture, and Research Welcomes 4-H Youth Leaders House Committee on Agriculture (USA), April 09, 2019.
- Professor Johnathan Napier – Sustainable food chains: making fish oils from plants - Society of Chemical Industry, March 27, 2019.
- Agroecology Criteria Tool - Assess your Project or Policy - Swiss Forum for International Agricultural Research, March 15, 2019.
- Organic Agriculture Research Forum (OARF) Presentations Now Available Online - Organic Agriculture Research Foundation, March 2019.
- Students’ thoughts focused on jobs and careers and career progression at the recent horticulture careers forum - Northern Ireland Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs, March 4, 2019.
- Fruit fly in Auckland – situation update 1 March 2019 - Ministry for Primary Industry - biosecurity New Zealand, March 1, 2019.
- Amendment to Wine Act contributed to drop in adulterated wines present on the market - The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority (CAFIA), February 27, 2019.
- CAFIA found further cases of consumers’ misleading regarding origin of beef in Prague restaurants The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority (CAFIA), February 19, 2019.
- Canada's Agriculture Day - Minister's Statement - Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, February 12, 2019.
- Gender Equality Mainstreaming Digest – February 2019 Issue - Agricultural Institute of Canada - AgriFood Innovation Council, January 31, 2019.
- Continuing the Conversation on Mental Health in Agriculture - Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs of Ontario (Canada), January 18, 2019.
- The Philadelphia GSI (Green StormWater Infrastructure) Landscape Design Guidebook of the Philadelphia Water Department (PWD) (Article published in the ASLA's 'The Field' website; Asla is the American Society of Landscape Architects).
- Walnuts impact gut microbiome and improve health (News published by the University of Illinois - College of Agriculture and Environmental Sciences - CAES; May 3, 2018).
- 'Citrus greening taking over Florida groves, while UF searches for a cure' (Article published by the CBS - Florida website).
- The rose genome deciphered: from the origin of modern roses to the characteristics of their blooms (Press-Release - French National Institute for Agricultural Research, May 3, 2018).
- '4 Things You Should Know about Remote Sensing in Agriculture' (Article published by AgFunder News; San Francisco - California - USA).
- 'State shares of total U.S. irrigated acres, in 2012' (Source: USDA ERS - 2012 Census of Agriculture - State Data, published by the 'Farm Policy' - Twitter page of the University of Illinois, Urbana - Champaigns).
- Ash dieback threatens 95% of all European ash trees - A Research from Earlham Institute (Source: Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council - BBSRC; April 23, 2018).
- USGS Scientists Develop New Tool to Determine if Vermiculite Insulation Contains Asbestos U.S. Geological Survey (USGS - April 5, 2018).
- 'Biosecurity Matters - Australia is free from many pests and diseases found around the world.' Some videos published by the Ministry of Agriculture and Water Resources of Australia.
- Study finds direct evidence of exposure of pregnant women to herbicide ingredient (News-release; University of Indiana press-release, March 22, 2018).
- What do agronomists do? YouTube page of the American Society of Agronomy.