Research shows that some breeds of dogs have hidden coat colors and other traits
If you have a purebred dog, it’s likely that he or she looks fairly similar to other dogs of the same breed, especially when it comes to the color of their coats. But what happens if a purebred puppy doesn’t look exactly like its siblings when it’s born? Chances are [..]
-->Press-release; Purdue University (West-Lafayette, Indiana - USA), October 30, 2019
Faster than ever, neutron tomography detects water uptake by roots
A team from Potsdam, Berlin and Grenoble was able to visualize the transport of water in soil as well as through roots of lupine plants using ultrafast 3D neutron imaging. [..]
-->Press-release; Helmholtz-Zentrum Berlin für Materialien und Energie, 25 settembre 2019
Using weather radar to monitor insects
Scientists are developing a pioneering technique that allows them to monitor insects in the air using weather radars, as part of a research project called BioDAR.
Ecosystems rely on insects for pollination and as vital parts of food webs, but insect populations have [..]
-->Press-release; University of Leeds, 25 July 2019
Purdue researchers discover new transportation route for plant volatile compounds
Flowers use volatile compounds called terpenes to communicate with and protect themselves from the outside world. The aromas produced welcome pollinators while warding off pests and disease. [..]
-->Press-release; Purdue University (West-Lafayette - Indiana - USA), May 17, 2019
Unsealed rainwater tanks could cause dengue outbreaks
Scientists are asking people to check their rainwater tanks, after new research revealed unsealed and damaged tanks could expose millions of Australians to the risk of mosquito-borne infectious [..]
-->Press-release; Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation (CSIRO), May 2, 2019
Insect-deterring sorghum compounds may be eco-friendly pesticide
Compounds produced by sorghum plants to defend against insect feeding could be isolated, synthesized and used as a targeted, nontoxic insect deterrent, according to [..]
-->Press-release; Penn State News, April 03, 2019
Grafting tomatoes protects plants, increases yields
Grafting vegetables is a time-tested way for growers to protect plants from soil-borne diseases as well as potentially improve yields, according to [..]
-->Press-release; Texas A&M AgriLife Extension Service, March 16, 2019
High pesticide exposure among farmers linked to poor sense of smell later
A Michigan State University study is the first to show an association between unusually high pesticide exposure and poor sense of smell among aging farmers. The research examined more than [..]
-->Press-release; Michigan State University, January 16, 2019
IIT researchers show how plants can generate electricity to power LED light bulbs
In Advanced Functional Materials, the study shows that single plant leaves can generate more than 150 volts; a 'hybrid tree' made of natural and artificial leaves can act as an innovative 'green' electric generator. [..]
-->Press-release; IIT-Istituto Italiano di Tecnologia in Pontedera (Pisa, Italy), December 12, 2018
ASLA Business Survey Shows Steady Conditions for Landscape Architecture Firms
Business is picking up for landscape architecture firms, according to the American of Landscape Architects (ASLA) Business Quarterly survey for the third quarter of 2018. Based on the responses of [..]
-->Press-release; American Society of Landscape Architects (ASLA), October 31, 2018.
A selection of links to press-releases, news-articles and documents about agriculture and landscape:
- African swine fever: early detection is key to controlling spread. European Food-Safety Authority, November 5, 2019.
- What is phytoremediation? Soil Science Society of America,October 15, 2019.
- A no-deal Brexit threatens the long-term sustainability of British agriculture. The Soil Association (UK), October 10, 2019.
- Reduce, reuse, recycle: the future of phosphorus. The American Society of Agronomy, September 13, 2019.
- Flying insects in hospitals carry 'superbug' germs . British Pest Control Association, August 23, 2019.
- VIDEO: A practical approach to wasp management British Pest Control Association, August 9, 2019.
- Scientists call for modernization of EU gene-editing legislation . Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, July 29, 2019.
- Regulation of root growth from afar - How genes from leaf cells affect root growth . Max Planck Institute of Molecular Plant Physiology, July 19, 2019.
- The Soil Association welcomes the government’s commitment to sustainable food and farming in the upcoming National Food Strategy - The Soil Association (UK), June 27, 2019.
- Rural 4G proposals need guarantees for consumers and businesses - Country Land and Business Association (CLA - UK), June 4, 2019.
- How does root depth affects the nearby soil? Soil Science Society of America, May 16, 2019.
- USDA Accepting Applications to Help Cover Producers’ Costs for Organic Certification - USDA’s Farm Service Agency (FSA), May 6, 2019.
- USDA Reaffirms Science-Based Decision Making at G20 Agricultural Chief Scientists Meeting - The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), Aprile 26, 2019.
- Supporting Farmers' Mental Health - Ontario Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs (OMAFRA; Canada), April 22, 2019.
- House Agriculture Subcommittee on Biotechnology, Horticulture, and Research Welcomes 4-H Youth Leaders House Committee on Agriculture (USA), April 09, 2019.
- Professor Johnathan Napier – Sustainable food chains: making fish oils from plants - Society of Chemical Industry, March 27, 2019.
- Agroecology Criteria Tool - Assess your Project or Policy - Swiss Forum for International Agricultural Research, March 15, 2019.
- Organic Agriculture Research Forum (OARF) Presentations Now Available Online - Organic Agriculture Research Foundation, March 2019.
- Students’ thoughts focused on jobs and careers and career progression at the recent horticulture careers forum - Northern Ireland Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs, March 4, 2019.
- Fruit fly in Auckland – situation update 1 March 2019 - Ministry for Primary Industry - biosecurity New Zealand, March 1, 2019.
- Amendment to Wine Act contributed to drop in adulterated wines present on the market - The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority (CAFIA), February 27, 2019.
- CAFIA found further cases of consumers’ misleading regarding origin of beef in Prague restaurants The Czech Agriculture and Food Inspection Authority (CAFIA), February 19, 2019.
- Canada's Agriculture Day - Minister's Statement - Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs, February 12, 2019.
- Gender Equality Mainstreaming Digest – February 2019 Issue - Agricultural Institute of Canada - AgriFood Innovation Council, January 31, 2019.
- Continuing the Conversation on Mental Health in Agriculture - Minister of Agriculture, Food and Rural Affairs of Ontario (Canada), January 18, 2019.
- You can find more news-articles and document review in the Agrolinker's FORUM BOARDS
- You can send your agro-scientific press-releases to (remove the Xes): comunicatiXXX@XXXagrolinker.com (please, add also a link to the page where the press-release is published).